Our auditors at OpenTheBooks.com looked at the Austin police department and other local departments receiving surplus military gear from the feds. It's been a controversial program for the last decade. We have the latest statistics through 2022.
1. Explain the federal Program 1033 which allows for the transfer of surplus U.S. military weapons and gear to local police departments. What was transferred and how much did Austin receive from the feds?
2. Discuss the heavier military gear/weaponry received by the Austin Police Department.
3. What's the controversy here? If the feds can't use it, why waste it?
4. Are there any controls on the gear? What are the rules?
5. What other interesting information did you uncover across the state of Texas with other departments receiving military hardware?