"The avoidance of taxes is the only intellectual pursuit
that stills carries any reward."
John Maynard Keynes
The "Shouse" Movement - How Illinois' High Property Tax
is Driving the American Dream Underground
By Adam Andrzejewski | Forbes Editorial
Read today's Forbes editorial, click here
June 29, 2015
What's a "Shouse?" It's a shed/house.
This weird conception has been created to evade high property taxes - and it has implications across America. We discuss this sad development at Forbes today
. Here's a picture:
For much of our history, a home or house was central to the American Dream. But, in Illinois, the "shouse" is fast becoming the strategy to avoid some of the highest property taxes in the nation.
While the American Dream of home ownership is under assault, Illinois public pay, perks, and pensions are out-of-control.
For example - from our data at OpenTheBooks.com:
- School district treasurers paid up to $352,473
- Park district managers earn up to $435,203
- Village managers make up to $292,124
- Top 10 DuPage County employees clean off $2.021 million in salary
- 17,000 educators make over $100,000 - a double in just five years
- 10,000 retired educators will have $100,000 plus lifetime pensions by 2017
And there's much more... for example, a small community college in Southern Illinois has a President making $442,000 and employs his wife for another $195,000!
The solution is a property tax freeze followed by hard caps empowering citizens with veto power on any increases beyond inflation (CPI). Read why this important policy has legislative momentum in Illinois.
JOIN THE TRANSPARENCY REVOLUTION!
Chairman & Executive Director