WE SPEARHEADED THE PROPERTY TAX FREEZE AT COLLEGE OF DUPAGE
(It's the 2nd largest college in Illinois)
HERE'S HOW YOU WIN THE DEBATE TOO...
Adam Andrzejewski, Founder, OpenTheBooks.com
December 19, 2014
Since May, our teams and allies have investigated the second largest college in Illinois- College of DuPage (COD). We've found a "Junior College Gone Wild." Click here for details.
In May, we advocated three policies: 1. Freeze Property Taxes, 2. Freeze Tuition, 3. Bring unneeded construction dollars into the Classroom.
We've had a lot of success during the past seven months:
- Stopped a corrupted $20 million state construction grant
- Froze student tuition for the first time in fourteen years
- Exposed $100 million in hidden "Imprest" spending- mostly to insiders- since 2009. Much of the spending was on no-bid contracts.
- Froze property taxes.
But, it hasn't been an easy ride.
After we exposed tens of thousands of dollars spent by President, Senior Management, and Trustees on dining, drinking, partying and accepting gifts at student and taxpayer expense, COD Trustee Dianne McGuire compared us and our allies to ... Nazi Tyranny. Watch 20 minute diatribe here.
When your opponents invoke Nazi's in a spending debate... You're Winning.
"Invoking Nazi's in a spending debate is shameful..."
Much of Matt's paternal family was exterminated
by the Nazi's in Poland during the Holocaust.
Matthew Tyrmand, Deputy Director, OpenTheBooks.com
We've accomplished our initial goals despite all institutional forces arrayed against us. Here's just a sample:
- Six trustees vs. one reformer. Only Vice Chairman Kathy Hamilton stands for reform.
- Eleven senior managers on a $2.5 million salary and perks gravy train.
- Treasurer Thomas Glaser was previously the top fiscal officer for legendary Cook County boss, John Stroger. Controller Lynn Sapyta was previously the Comptroller for Chicago Transit Authority.
There's so much corruption at College of DuPage, the faculty union, tea party, watchdogs, and good-government groups are all fighting for reform. It's a partnership producing real results.
Learn More at OpenTheBooks.com
Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday's from the Open The Books team: Adam, Matt, Craig, John, and Laura
Chairman, American Transparency