AMONGST OUR FINDINGS:
1. 5,930 retired educators have $100,000 annual pensions. In 2014, the number of six figure pensions increased by 24.4% from 4,767 (2013).
2. 20 months- retired educators on average "broke even" their own pension investments. In other words, retired educators were "paid back" within 20 months of retirement.
3. Salary Abuse Case Example: In 2012, administrator Mohsin Dada double-dipped pensions and now cleans off over $494,000: current salary of $239,895 and retirement pension of $254,700. High pension is result of obscene salary spike from $156,160 to $358,750 before "retirement."
4. 16,257 of 162,960 active educators earn over $100,000 per year- collectively, costing $1.977 billion. In five years, the number of employees earning a six figure salary increased by 69.5%!
5. What's Going On? Teachers Retirement System is slow-walking the 2013 salary numbers- 2012 is the latest salary year available and 2013 salaries will not be available until October 15!
6. Salary Abuse Case Example: In Oak Brook D53, Sandra Renner made $288,240 (2012), up from just $138,161 in 2001. Renner retired on a pension of $210,480. The pension is higher than all but 5 of her active salary years.
7. In 2013, nearly $40,000,000 was paid out to various unions-Illinois Education Association and National Education Association received the most. But, even the Teamster's received funding.
8. Spending tens of millions spent on taxi cabs. In 2013, over $11.1 million was spent on taxi cabs with over $71,000,000 in payments since 2006.
9. At least $55,000,000 million was paid out to "consultants." With over 16,000 administrators and educators earning a six-figure salary, why were so many extra experts needed?
10. Schools spent at least $4,000,000 on hotel rooms in the finest resorts and destinations across America (2013). Searches for "Marriott" and "Hyatt" rendered $1,254,078; but, only $1,359 for Red Roof Inn & $16,405 for Super 8/Motel 6.
HOW DID YOUR DISTRICT SPEND YOUR TAX DOLLARS?
Stay tuned. OpenTheBooks.com has more cool stuff coming soon!